Here is a listing of pic processor resources.
- PIC16F84 The apparent standard for small gadgets. It has 18 pins.
- PIC16F84A The latest version of the most popular starter chip (above).
- PIC16F628 Another good starter chip.
- PIC16F87x A Recommended starter chip.
- PIC16F819, PIC18F252, PIC18F452 Recommended in Physical Computing.
C (a quick comparison can be found here)
- Picc Lite ™ A nice free C compiler for Pic. It has limited fuctionality. (limited free version)
- CC5X A nice free C compiler. (limited free version)
- CCS A well-known C compiler. Somewhat costly.
- MPLAB C18 A well-known C compiler made by Microchip. (limited free version) .
- PicBasic A compiler for the PicBasic language.
- PicBasicPro A compiler for the PicBasic Pro language.
- Jens' File Editor A free editor that integrates well with various C compilers. (free)
- IC-Prog A free programmer. (free)
- PIC-PG2 An inexpensive serial programmer.
- EPIC Plus A acclaimed programmer that is moderately priced.